Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett


357 pages
Paperback
2001
Fiction

Ah yes, another Prachett book.Whenever I am not sure what I want to read or I am looking for something humorous, I can never go wrong with Pratchett.

This book follows Jeremy as he attempts to make the perfect clock. Unfortunately, building the perfect clock can cause problems that affect the fate of the world as well as Time itself. This type of thing has happened before and Lu-Tze had to deal with the aftermath. This time, along with his new apprentice Lobsang, Lu-Tze is going to stop the problem before it starts. The four horseman of the apocalypse have to be convinced it worthwhile to ride out. Death takes it upon himself to encourage the others to join him. Susan, Death's grandaughter, finds herself pulled from her teaching duties in order to help save the world...again.

Pratchett is one of my favorite authors. It is so easy to get involved in his books. The characters are memorable and often lovable. Even the villains are characters that you find yourself rooting for. He takes the playfulness of a fairy tale and adds satire and humor that I have rarely enjoyed in another author.

In Thief of Time he takes the "coming of age" story and mixes with the end of time. I really enjoyed it.

4 Intellectual/Emotional - The main characters are endearing. As I reader I wanted Jeremy to succeed as much as I wanted Lu-Tse to stop him.

5 Readability/Style - Pratchett has a style that is unique. He infuses the fantasy genre with a humor normally reserved for the comedians stage. The saying goes, "In comedy timing is everything." Pratchett is able to do that on a page of paper and I love it.

2 Long Term - As a fan I am surprised at Pratchett lack of popularity. I think as time passes this will change. Thief of Time sits oddly in his collection as it doesn't fit in with any other series of books. I think this will always keep it a bit hidden. But I think most people would find it worthwhile.

11 out of 13. This is well deserved. It is one of my favorite books of his so far. I wouldn't recommend this as a first Pratchett book though. Guards! Guards! or Going Postal are better starting points.

Keep Turning Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment