Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore


304 Pages
Trade Paperback
Fiction
1999

I read Moore's other book Sacre Bleu. I really enjoyed it, but when reading more about Moore, I discovered most fans consider it one of his worst books. I decided I needed to check out more of his work. I found The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove at a used book store and gave it a read. 

The story focuses on the small community of Pine Cove. The town is a summer vacation spot, but the tourists have mainly gone home. An unexplained suicide convinces the local psychiatrist to take the town off of it's medication. A small leak at a power plant awakens a sea beast. Soon the entire town is starting to act crazy. Take a local pothead constable, add a former B-movie actress, a mechanical bartender and a traveling bluesman, tie them all together as they start to unravel why the local gas station blows up and you get a mystery comedy unlike any other book I have read.

Moore has a laid back writing style. It isn't complicated and keeps the story moving forward. His strength lies in characters that are unique, but believable. He also has a sense of humor that translates well to the written word. It mostly relies on unconventional situations caused by the actions of the characters.

3 Intellectual/Emotional - This isn't an life changing book. It is meant to entertain and it does a great job of that. The characters are what makes this worthwhile.

4 Style/Readability - You won't get bogged down with this book at all. It is quick and easy page turner. This fits the theme of the book and is exactly what makes this enjoyable.

3 Long Term Impact - Maybe it's just me, but it seems like humorous stories that aren't just "Humor" books are a rare thing. I have been pleased with Moore and I hope to read more of his stuff. I also hope his success encourages this genre to grow.

10 out of 13. Anyone looking for a entertaining book that is funny and more adult in subject matter would find this worthwhile.

Keep Turning Pages


No comments:

Post a Comment