Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde


157 pages
Trade Paperback Collected Works
Fiction
1890

I had the pleasure of reading A Picture of Dorian Gray a few years ago. I enjoyed it and became a fan of Oscar Wilde. My wife gave me a copy of his complete works as a gift and I have read a number of stories from the book. It was my time to host for my book club and I choose A Picture of Dorian Gray. 

Last time I read the book I gave it 13 out of 13. This still stands. Wilde is a writer that few can challenge. He is a master of words and uses it to satirize and entertain. Though at times I got a bit dogged down as a character goes off on the downfall of Victorian society, Wilde made it seem a part of the story and not just a means to judge others. 

I personally was most appreciative of the look into High Society at the time. Even upon second reading it I was engaged. This read through, I was able to give better attention to the social commentary that intertwines itself through the book. Lord Henry consistently has an opinion on everything. Wilde uses him and others to give something like a sermon on what really matters in life. 

It is a masterpiece and well deserved of all its accolades. Give it a read.

Keep Turning Pages





No comments:

Post a Comment