Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Everything's Eventual by Stephen King


Fiction
Paperback
464 Pages
2002

Yes, that is right. All I am reading is Stephen King and Terry Pratchett. It is good stuff.

Continuing into my re-reads of Stephen King I found a good collection of King's stuff for cheap in a bookstore. My hey day of reading King was through the early 90's and this hadn't come out so I decided to try a new book.

This is a collection of short stories. King starts the book with an introduction on how the art of the short story is dying and that he enjoys them. These stories are a collection of things released over the last 20 years or so. I had only read one before, The Little Sisters of Elyria.

My favorites include: The Man in the Black Suit, a story about a old man telling a tale from his youth.  Everything's Eventual, A young man has the ability to kill people by writing them letters. He soon finds there are people willing to pay for an ability like that. That feeling, you can only say what it is in french,  A woman is on a car trip and starts having a distressing case deja vu. 1408,  Every writer has to have a story about a haunted hotel room, though I would argue he already did with The Shining. Riding the Bullet, A young man buys a painting at a garage sale and soon regrets his decision.

It is nice to be able to sit down and get an entire story in a short amount of time. They aren't all the greatest, but overall it was enjoyable. I have read other short story books by King and I would say I probably enjoyed the other a bit more overall, but this one was still worth my time.

2 Emotional/Intellectual - I admit a couple of the stories drew me in, but overall with short stories is hard to become invested.

4 Style/readability - King is easy author to read, but he doesn't dumb things down for us. It is often like having a storyteller right there for you.

2 Long Term Impact - King is one of the most famous writers of all time. Anything he writes will be influential for years to come. This will be one of his lesser read books.

8 out of 13. This feels right. Any fan would find this worth reading. If you are just trying king out I suggest some of his novels instead.

Keep Turning Pages




No comments:

Post a Comment