Wednesday, July 15, 2015

You Suck by Christopher Moore.


328 Pages
Fiction Humor Horror
2007

I have read a number of Moore's books now. I started reading the Bloodsucking Fiends trilogy and this is the second in the set. I'll talk about Bite Me the final book at the end.

In the first book Tommy has been put into service by the vampire Jody. In the second book Jody turns Tommy into a vampire as well. We follow their misadventures of getting another servant, looking for a new place to live and avoid the cops who want them out of town. 

I read through the whole thing in a couple days. Moore keeps things simple and to the point, It is a humorous look at the dark side of vampirism. In some ways it does come off as sophomoric. A big part of this is Abby. She is the servant thy get. She is presented as a Goth girl who just loves vampires and wants to serve. A part of the book is written as if it is her diary. I found those parts to be hard to get through because she writes like a Valley Girl talks and it was hard to enjoy.

2 Intellectual/ Emotional - I had a hard time caring about anyone except Tommy and he comes off a jerk sometimes too.

3 Style/Readabilty- Moore is easily digested and is pretty funny. I think sometime he pushes the limits without much success, such as the Blue Hooker that everybody wants because of latent Smurf fantasies from childhood. 

2 Long term impact - I don't see this breaking the scene much. It is a niche humor and that is wear it will stay.

1 bonus point for the humor.

9 out of 13.

I enjoyed the first two books in the series. I started reading the last book in the Trilogy Bite Me and I had to give up. As noted I thought Abby was the most annoying of the characters and it seems like a lot of the last book is from her point of view. After the 20th time of her using Kayso to start a paragraph I decided I couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

I suggest reading the first two and ignoring the last.

Keep Turning Pages



No comments:

Post a Comment