Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou


298 pages
Paperback
Autobiography

This is the second book that was read in my book club and I was unable to read it at the time, so I finally caught up to the rest of the group. When I was in college Maya Angelou came to speak at my school. I was moved by her speaking and always intended to read her book. Life got in the way and I never picked it up. How sad for me. 

The book tells the story of Maya's childhood. At a young age her brother Bailey and her are sent to live with their Grandmother in Stamps, Arkansas. The book brings alive the lives of southern black folks. I grew up in white bread MN and I think we had one black kid in our entire school. It is safe to say I had a different life than Maya. Her descriptions and use of metaphor continually made me experience the life of a young black girl in a way I didn't think possible. At one point she talks about how she didn't really think white people existed because none ever came to her part of town. When she finally met some she couldn't believe how you could see through their skin. Maya moves around to St. Louis, back to Stamps and eventually to Southern California. Each place has it's affect on her life and she bares it all for us to live without reservation.

 Though the book certainly deals with the hardships involved in growing up black in the south; to me it felt upbeat and demonstrated the power to overcome the troubles of her life. I thought it was fantastic and am disappointed that it took me this long to get to experience this story. 

4 - Intellectual/ Emotional - Getting a first hand experience of her life is unique and endearing. This is a rare look into a life much different from my own.

5 - Style/Readability - There is no doubt that Angelou is a Master of language. Her imagery is among the best I have read and evokes greats such a Steinbeck and Wilde. Though simple to digest I felt I was a part of the story.

4 - Long Term Impact - Maya Angelou has already made a permanent mark on Literate and Poetry. This being her most well known work will ensure that she will influence other writers for years to come.

13 out of 13. A very rare 13. A part of me almost feels like adding another point. This book is fantastic and a must read for any reader. Do yourself a favor and read this book.

Keep Turning Pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment