Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

426 pages (Trade Paperback) Historical Fiction

 I was introduced to Russell with her fantastic book, The Sparrow. I was so touched by that book that I felt the need to read some others.

  A Thread of Grace starts in 1943 in France during World War II. A group of Jews have been informed that the Germans are going to take over the section of France they have recently settled in. They are forced to run for their lives over the mountains into Italy. Once they arrive in Italy the lives of the new inhabitants and the Italians become intermixed. The story focuses on the people’s efforts to protect the Jews, but also on how people try to live a “normal” life in the face of war.

 The book is an interesting take on WWII. Other books I have read in the past focus on soldiers or Jews involved in the concentration camps. This book has a more hopeful feeling. I was pleased to learn a different side of the war story.

 4 Emotional/Intellectual – It was easy to get involved in people’s stories. The fact that it is focused on a part of WWII that I knew nothing about added unexpected intellectual merit as well.

 3 Style/ Readability – Russell is an accomplished writer and is comfortable to read. I wasn’t as drawn in as I was with The Sparrow.

 2 Long Term Impact – Russell’s fame is not because of this book and it is unlikely that it will ever will be. The saving grace maybe it’s unique take on the war story.

 9 out of 13. If you are interested in a different look at World War II you should take a look at this. If you are just getting interested in it I would suggest Night by Elie Weisel or The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer. If you think Russell is interesting I would suggest starting with The Sparrow although it is not related to A Thread of Grace in anyway. This book is worth a read after enjoying her other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment