Friday, February 10, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins



391 pages –Trade paperback (Fiction)

Catching Fire is the second book in the Hunger Games series. I am reading the books with a group of high level 5th graders. I think most readers could eat through this in a few days.

In the first book Katniss is put into The Hunger Games. In this dystopian future the overbearing Capitol, run by President Snow, pits children from each of the twelve districts in a fight to the death for the entertainment of the masses. Katniss manages to survive and at then amazingly save Peeta, also from her district.

Catching Fire soon has Katniss and Peeta traveling through the districts to show off the winners to all of the people of Panem. While traveling Katniss sees that everyone is controlled even more so than in her humble far off district. She also comes to realize that there is unrest. Signs show there is resistance against the Capitol that she never suspected. A visit from the president convinces Katniss that she must prove that her love for Peeta is the real thing no matter what her real feelings are. Everything, even who she can love seems to be controlled by the government.

Collins’ writing is as readable as in the first book. I wasn’t as drawn into this story as much as the last book and it felt to me as if there were trying to set up a lot of the story for the 3rd book rather than tell a story of its own.

**SPOILER ALERT** Peeta and Katniss are once again sent into the Hunger Games. I honestly felt like this was wrong. There is a lot of build up about a potential uprising and rumors of the former district 13 still in operation. The government seems to want Peeta and Katniss to prove that they are following the rules set down by them. It seems to me realistically a totalitarian regime that is willing to have young children slaughter each other for entertainment wouldn’t have any trouble killing people that have publically defied the government.

Even with that flaw the book is entertaining. I was limited in my reading because I was waiting for the students but I always wanted to keep reading. I feel that even though this book didn’t stand up to the first book the series as a whole is worth reading and I am excited to finish the last book.

3 Intellectual/Emotional – It is easy to get drawn into the book, but Katniss isn’t a really loveable character. She has a lot of anger in her and can be irrational at times.

3 Style/Readability - Easy enough to read. Since it is intended for young readers I would say it is very successful.

3 Long Term Impact – This series is already pretty huge and soon will have a movie series to go with it. The first book alone will keep people reading this for years to come.

9 out of 13. Although I didn’t like it as much as the first book, I did enjoy it. I think most readers would find this worthwhile.
Keep Turning Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment