Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Change of Rating!

So I am changing how I rate books (again). I found that some books were being graded low that I actually liked more than my rating would reveal. The main issue was I had categories for intellectual and emotional. Although I feel these are important parts to consider in a book I found they were often at odds with each other. Some books focus on intellectual achievement and others on emotional. I also felt that how a book reads wasn’t a part of my system and is also important. SO here is my new grading system:

As always the system will go up to 13 points. 4 in each category with a bonus point available to put in special cases I feel warrant it.

Intellectual-Emotional Impact

Rather than have these qualities at odds with each other I have combined them. If the book focuses on one or the other I will describe that accordingly.

Readability-Style

Some books are easy to read and you can’t put them down. Some authors writing styles are just a joy to read. This will rate that.

Long-term Impact

This piece will remain the same. Many books hit the best seller list, but few are still popular 50 years later.

As always I will attempt to explain my reasoning along with the points.

Keep Turning Pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment